B. N. Mandal University, Madhepura came into existence on the 10th of January, 1992 under the statutory provision of the Act of Bihar in the rural, socioeconomic backward and badly ruined area surrounded by the river Koshi of the north eastern Bihar, with an aim to impart higher education to the deprived section as the main population of this area. The University was registered under 2(F) of the UGC act 1956 vide office memo dated 26th May, 1993 and granted recognition under section 12(B) of the UGC act 1956 vide office memo no9-3/929 (CPP-I) dated 19th Oct., 2004 as notified by the University Memo No. G.S.1166/04 dated 31/10/2004. This University was carved out from parent L. N. Mithila University, Darbhanga with it headquarter at Madhepura. Madhepura is a district headquarter of Bihar situated in the north eastern part at latitude 250 35’ to 260 07’ N and longitude 860.19’ to 87’ 07’ E.
From the time of its establishment in 1992, the University was spread over the two divisions of Bihar namely Koshi and Purnia divisions having seven districts in its jurisdiction. But now in the year 2018, another University namely Purnia University, Purnia has been carved out of this University, comprising Purnia division and only the Koshi division having its 03 districts, 08 subdivisions, 34 blocks, 504 panchayats and 1454 revenue villages covering an area of 5700 sq. Km. and 6131499 population remained the periphery of this B. N. Mandal University. The geographical area of this university is now bounded in the North by Nepal, in the south by Khagaria & Bhagalpur districts, in the east by Purnia & Araria districts and in the west by Madhubani and Darbhanga districts.
The physiography of the area is sedimentary in nature. It comprises of an extensive plain formed by alluvium brought by Koshi, Mahananda and its tributaries. This area is the land of rivers. The Koshi, a second biggest river of Bihar, after the auspicious river Ganges, is known as Hwang Ho of India and is most devastating among Indian rivers. It is rightly called the Sorrow of Bihar due to its wide spread and damage. Almost every year in rainy season it causes more or less damages to life and property of the area. Recently flood disaster of 2008 is a burning example of its devastating nature which was declared National Disaster by the Govt. of India
Now a days, communication status is getting improved and Madhepura is connected with Road & Rail and awaiting its betterment. Two National Highways are passing through the heart of the town, almost perpendicular to each other. The crossing point of these highways is only at a distance of about two kilometres from the administrative campus of the University and about five kilometres from its academic campus. One of these highways is passing along the front boundary and main gate of the administrative campus. The academic campus is also side by side of this highway. Madhepura has a railway station named as Dauram Madhepura after the name of a spiritual saint work place Dauram situated almost in between the two campuses of the University i.e., administrative campus (south campus) and academic campus (north campus). Railway broad-gauge is connecting Madhepura to Saharsa (20 Km) in the west and Purnia (80 Km) in the east. Asia’s biggest rail engine factory has recently started functioning and producing the 12000 Horse Power Railway Electric Engine. A Govt. Medical College namely Jannayak Karpoori Thakur Medical College, Madhepura has recently been inaugurated by Hon`ble Chief Minister of Bihar. A Govt. Engineering College is under construction. The land for both the colleges is given by the University. Both these colleges are side by side to one another and also the neighbour to the academic campus of the University.
B. N. Mandal University, Madhepura was named after a great revolutionary socialist leader Bhupendra Narayan Mandal (1st Feb., 1904 – 29th May, 1975), who fought for the upliftment and betterment of the poor and the downtrodden to justify the real execution of the main principle of equality, liberty and fraternity of the Indian Constitution.
B. N. Mandal University, Madhepura is a state University. The present Hon’ble ViceChancellor, Prof. (Dr.) Awadh Kishore Roy is an eminent scholar of Botany and a humorous and kind hearted man who always thinks about the development of the University and welfare of the students, teachers and employees. He has the micro vision of administration in combination with education and development. He is a man of dedication, devotion and inspiration. His auspicious effort to give the University a National identity is clearly visible in his work culture. There is a team of dedicated officers and hard working staff. Some of the important names include Prof. (Dr.) Farooque Ali, Pro Vice-Chancellor; Sri S. C. Das, Financial Advisor; Prof. (Dr.) Ashok Kumar Yadav, DSW; a dynamic Registrar Dr Kapildeo Prasad; Dr. Imteyaz Anjum, CCDC; Dr. Nabin Kumar, Controller of Exams, Dr. Bijendra Pd. Yadav, Estate Officer etc.
This University has two campuses namely, South Campus and North Campus. South Campus is the administrative campus. All the administrative offices are located in this campus. There is a big central library and an auditorium in this campus. The north campus is a purely academic campus and all the post graduate departments are located there. The distance between these two campuses is about five kilometres and a University Bus facility is available to carry students and employees between these two campuses. Altogether more than eighteen Post Graduate departments are running. In addition to University Departments, there is one P. G. Centre at Saharsa and two P. G. Colleges namely T. P. College, Madhepura and M. L. T. College, Saharsa. The total number of constituent colleges is fourteen and affiliated colleges is eighteen. There are also thirteen B.Ed. colleges running under this University. Apart from these, a separate Education department having B.Ed. & M.Ed. programmes and also BLIS & MLIS programmes are running in the University headquarter.